"The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not. It is not wearied by our sins, or our indifference; and, therefore, it is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him."
- C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Brayden {2 years}

Around this time two years ago, it was Sunday, we were sitting at Original Pancake House and I was devouring some chocolate chip pancakes.  We had been up since 5:30, and had been heading down to Greenville, SC, for a soccer tournament that luckily got rained out.  Abi had played the day before and it was miserable; rainy and cold and I was a very 37 weeks pregnant and seriously feeling every bit of 37 weeks.

Who knew the beginning of May would be so chilly??

Dad had ridden down with us Sunday morning and as we dropped him off at his house after breakfast, I could not get comfortable; in the car or on his couch.  My Braxton hicks contractions were driving me crazy and I could not find one position that gave me any relief from the ache in my back!  I told Aaron I needed to get home and that it was getting close to time to be having this little nugget.  I wanted to try and lay down at home before, if this truly was it.  I was 2 cm dilated at my 36 week appointment so I had a feeling we were knocking at the door. 

No rest for the weary, however.  Up late the night before after traveling for the soccer tournament, up early just in case it did not get cancelled, all I wanted to do was take a nap, but no such luck!  I knew I wanted to labor at home as much as possible, and am so glad I did.  My contractions were never really "regular" but they were getting pretty intense across the bottom of my belly, to the point where I was having to brace myself on the back of the couch with each one.   

So, I did what any normal 37 week pregnant woman would do, I got in the shower to freshen up and shave my legs!  The things we worry about!  

We headed to the hospital around 5:30 pm.  I was contracting about every 4 minutes at that point.
They got me all gowned up, checked and I was 6 cm dilated!  We were really about to do this, it was really time. 


I have been very blessed when it comes to pregnancy, labor, delivery, recovery, and motherhood.  Seriously. 

It was around 6:30 pm when we settled into our room (at this particular hospital, every stage of childbirth is done in the same room).  I did have an epidural, and about 9:30 I was fully dilated and feeling the urge to push.  Time to kick everyone out except Aaron and my secret weapon, my mom.  

Side note: Aaron is superb at a lot of things. Everything he puts his hand to he seems to excel at.  However, as much as I love him and am in love with him, childbirth is not one of them.  And that is ok.  It is very traumatic for him.  Thus, my mom will be in the room every single time we do the birthing thing.

When it was time to dive into active pushing, I had a hard time.  My positioning was not right and I could not effectively push because I felt like I was laying down and could not gather the force I needed to focus on where and how to push.  Little Brayden had a big ol noggin and was not wanting to exit! I was exhausted though; from traveling the day before, not sleeping, up early, laboring all day at home.  I was beginning to get discouraged and upset. 

Then, with perfect timing, I hear my mom in my ear whispering, "Lord, give her strength. Come on baby, you've got this.  Lord, give her the strength."  

I took a deep breath and pushed through the next contraction with all my might.  And he was here.  Well, his head anyway, but that was the hard part.  My little man.  He was finally here.




There are no words to express the immense emotions that flood you when you see your child for the first time.  Love at first sight.  Unconditional, undying love for a little human being.  The closest thing to God's love that we will ever be able to experience.

~

Happy birthday my sweet boy.  You have been a blessing from the moment you were conceived.  My precious "rainbow baby".  You gave me hope when I thought our world was over.  The bond between mother and child begins way before the baby can be held outside of the womb, and ours certainly is no exception.

You have tried my patience, stretched my limits and reminded me why I was born to be a mom.  You are constantly up under my feet, wanting to be held, watch me cook, help me cook, help daddy in the garage with every project.  You still do not sleep well at night sometimes, and I am a little lost as to what to do about it.  You are so busy all the time, and certainly all boy!

You are growing up so fast. You have an infectious smile and know how to make us laugh.  Everywhere we go, you make friends and people can not help but talk to you.  Your sister is so good with you and even though you two have your moments, you completely adore her, and she you.

I am so excited to see what God has in store for your life!



We love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment