"The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not. It is not wearied by our sins, or our indifference; and, therefore, it is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him."
- C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What it means to be a nurse

I love my job.  I do.  I sincerely do.  There are times when it is overwhelming though; the physical, mental and emotional demands of my chosen occupation are exhausting.  But I love it.  I was created to be a nurse.

Why I do what I do...

  • because having only 30 minutes for lunch does not matter
We all complain about it.  Only 30 minutes for lunch out of 12 hour shift?  Not even uninterrupted can we sit in the break room and quietly eat our lunch.  Calls on that pesky phone that we have to carry from doctors, physical therapists, dietitians, the ever nagging charge nurse, distraught family members and even the occasional wrong number.  And yet, we still come to work.  The minor disturbance is not enough to distract us from our bigger purpose.
  • because we have to have thick skin
Verbal abuse from patients and even family members is not okay, but we listen.  Realizing that sometimes all of the emotions pinned up inside have to come out somehow.  When a family is dealing with a traumatic diagnosis, life-altering, sometimes even life-ending, news, those emotions will surface regardless.  The loss of control over one's body, loss of control over the outcome, manifests itself in other ways.  And sometimes, we take the brunt. 

  • because we play the role of nurse, advocate, therapist, waitress, masseuse....
Nursing is not just handing out medications.  Keen assessment skills to notice even the slightest of changes in a patient that could mean life or death.  Listening to a family member who thinks "something just is not right with daddy," and acting on that instinct.  Advocating for my patients if I feel a decision has been made incorrectly or helping to determine a plan of care.  Listening to the life situations of patients that have nothing to do with why they are in the hospital, but understanding it is important for them to talk about it.  Being ordered to "get me a cheeseburger, fries with extra salt, three sodas, cookies for all of my visitors and ice" and giving the friendly reminder of "you are on a cardiac floor and are not allowed to eat those things" and being hated the rest of the shift because of it.  
  • because we take very seriously the impact we might have on another human being.  
Holding the hand of a frail, 80-something man who has just learned that although he has lived a good life and never really been sick, has developed a cancer that not only involves a major organ of his body, but has spread and is beyond treatment.  

Washing the hair of a 45 year old woman who has been in the hospital for three weeks and barely has any family visit with her.  Combing the tangled mess and wiping away her tears because she feels so alone.

Laughing with a couple who will be celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary this year and sharing pictures of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

Comforting the confused, the forgotten, the homeless, the afflicted, the mentally unstable. 

  • because not only do we impact the lives of others, but those others impact our own lives
A family member who recognizes you for something as simple as asking how they slept, or if you could get them a cup of coffee.  

Receiving marital advice from that couple who will be celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary this year. 

Hugs from the 45 year old woman whose tears you have been wiping who, although she cannot speak, mouths "thank you" repeatedly.  

Putting the confused patient back to bed for the 300th time and thinking, "this could be my grandparent, or my parent, or even me". 



I was created to be a nurse.  This job has taught me more about myself than I ever cared to know.  I now know more deeply my strengths and my weaknesses.  What I was born with- my compassion for others, a nurturing spirit, a determination to make an impact- has taken stronger roots and blossomed.  Only a fellow nurse can understand exactly what it means to be a nurse.  We wear many hats and wear them with pride. Because we love what we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment