I have to be honest, I was struggling with this last night.
Let me set the scene: I work three days in a row per week, thirteen hour shifts. I leave at 6 am and do not set foot in the house until at least 8 pm, on average. I love my job. It fulfills me in ways I wish that everyone could be by doing what they love. But, my job is taxing. Mentally, emotionally and even physically sometimes. Caring for the sick, the wounded, the mentally unstable, the frustrated, the depressed, it wears on you. I love it, but my profession requires giving of one's self.
I have been sick (congestion, sinus pressure, cough, ear ache, etc) for two weeks now. My son, my sweet, adorable, happy, baby boy had this for two weeks before that. So, in the last month I do not think I have slept more than two hours consistently at night. I am exhausted. Physically, mentally, emotionally.
Last night, Tuesday, just as on all Tuesdays, I could not wait to get home and start my time off. The hot shower was calling my name, the fluffy cocoon of the bed pillows and covers were competing for my attention. And I get a text from my husband as I am walking to the car, "I'm going to try and go to bed early". BOOM. Good feelings gone. I could feel the tension creeping up from my toes as I tossed this around in my head.
"But I am the one who has to get up in the night with the baby. But I am the one who has worked almost 40 hours in three days. But I am the one who has been sick and I am tired and all I want to do is get a steamy shower and curl up in bed and sleep for 15 hours. BUT I....!!!!"
And it ruined my night. I had a bad attitude walking in the door, though still pleasant, but could feel that tension curling around every word. And as I laid in bed (after a quick shower and a 30 minute struggle with Brayden to go to sleep), all I could think was, "How many times have I used the word I?"
What about Aaron? He wanted to go to bed early because he needed to leave the house at 4:30 am to be at work by 5. Not to mention the fact that he has worked his butt off the last two weekends working a side job. He deserves an extra hour of sleep too to prepare for his work week.
Yes, we should take care of ourselves. Yes, we need rest and relaxation. Yes, our spouses should help and be considerate and all of that. But I was concerned only with myself and my needs and felt that they superseded those of anyone else. I was quick to anger and who did it hurt? Myself.
Psalm 37:8
Cease from anger and forsake wrath; do not fret- it only causes harm.
What a smack in the face as I was reading this morning. Was it really worth ruining an evening at home just because I felt my sleep was more important than anyone else's? No.
Lord, please help me to be slow to anger, and put others first. Help me to be sensitive to Aaron's needs and remind me how much I love him when I feel hurt. Help me daily to be a good wife; his companion, his friend and his biggest supporter. Amen.
Krista, I admire the fact that you took this situation and learned a valuable lesson from it. When I worked as a nurse, I was in those same shoes on multiple occasions and I'm not sure I always turned it around the way you have with this lesson. It shows the depth of your character.
ReplyDeleteThat said, if you and Aaron are both working this hard, BOTH of you need to be very deliberate about seeing to it that you get the rest you need. It's hard and requires give and take on both parts, as you well know, but it's essential. If you're sick and exhausted, your body is trying to send you a message to slow down and rest before you break down. Praying that God helps both of you find ways to rest more and provide more rest for one another.
Loving this blog and your transparency. Such wise words from such a young woman! Your Mama must have trained you well. Haha!
Love your blog Krista...it's EXTREMELY relatable (sp) and makes me think. Keep up the good work, and lessons shared! Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteKrista, I hope to be half the wife and mother that you are one day! You are an amazing nurse and your love for your patients shines through every single time you work...we are always lucky to have you there with the rest of the 7 tower team! And from your last entry...you and Aaron have an awesome story and I love it. I really and truly believe that with every decision to put the other first, you will both grow that much closer to each other and to God, and that much stronger in your marriage. Thank you for being honest and vulnerable about something we all struggle with! This was beautifully written and so easy to read! :) -Bethany
ReplyDelete