They were playing hockey and one of the things Mr. C told them was they were not supposed to raise the stick above the level of their knees. Many children were doing so, and Mr. C would then scold them and remind them gently not to do this. Well, Abi did. But she did not get caught! Whew, she thought she got away with it. Inside though, something started gnawing at her, making her feel guilty about it. So, she did something I never imagined a child would do; she told on herself. She quietly walked up to Mr. C, admitted she had done it, and apologized. He was taken aback! And in response, he rewarded her with a trinket from the treat box.
I was impressed, and speechless. Abi was sensitive to her conscience and admitted wrong. She was self-aware and quick to repent. Even though this may seem trivial, as a parent, it made my heart do an internal cartwheel! Raising your children to be God-fearing, honest, good people is one of the most important responsibilities and I do not take it lightly.
Nobody wants to be the parent 20 years down the road that people think, "Well, if they'd just ben raised better..."
She taught me something. When we have done wrong, no matter what it is, admitting it and making amends is incredibly difficult. I find this to be true in my every day life, too. Whether I have spoken harshly to one of my sisters, wronged Aaron in some way, gossiped, or whatever it may be, I am trying to be more like Abi. Self-aware and quick to repent. Being sensitive to that little voice, the gnawing at your conscience to make it right.
Something as simple andunglamorous as raising a hockey stick too high. She didn't hurt anyone, no one told on her, there was no consequence of doing it. But she listened. And I believe obeying in the small things, means obeying in the big and important ones.


No comments:
Post a Comment